At Anton Junior School, we believe the teaching of mathematics equips pupils with the skills and understanding to enhance life opportunities. We want to grow a generation of learners who are passionate about maths and develop a deep and sustained knowledge, which allows them to make links, identify patterns and solve problems.
Mathematics is essential to everyday life, critical in science, technology, engineering, finance and in most forms of employment. With this in mind, we endeavour to ensure that children develop an enthusiastic attitude towards mathematics that will stay with them for life. We want all children at Anton Junior School to see themselves as confident and independent mathematicians. We do this be delivering maths lessons daily through a spiral curriculum with the enhancement of White Rose resources.
During these lessons children:
- Develop their fluency skills and conceptual understanding to be able to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately
- Develop a thorough and broad understanding of all areas of maths through frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time
- Able to reason mathematically, developing an argument or justification using mathematical language
- Solve problems by applying their maths knowledge in a variety of contexts, including breaking down problems into a series of smaller steps
- Develop resilience when approaching problem-solving and use different strategies when seeking solutions
- Make rich connections across mathematical ideas to develop fluency, reasoning and competence in solving increasingly sophisticated problems.